Help needed with erratic speedo on 96 Explorer

A few weeks ago the speedo in my 96 explorer started to behave erraticly. The needle was bouncing up and down at all speeds. Also it apeared to show the speed about 10-20 km/h too slow. At this time the tranny was shifting very bad. After a about 5 days driving with this erratic speedo it stoped moveing at all. At this time I suspected that there was some problem with the VSS and I removed it for inspection. The plastic gear that drives the VSS apeared to be worn, not mutch but I replaced it with a new one. Now the speedo moves again but it still bounces erraticly and it still apeares to show the speed to slow. I talked with a tech at the local Ford shop and he said that had never seen this problem but his guess was that the VSS is broken, so I purchased a new one and replaced it. It made now difference. Now I'm realy stuck with this problem and I need your help.

Best reagards

Patrik from Sweden

Reply to
pac

The VSS "teeth" are plastic as is the other end in the transfer case, both sides get worn out - did you replace both? May or may not be your problem, but I found that out the hard way, after first replacing the VSS side and then GEM module (per the service manual troubleshooting guide)

Does your cruise c> A few weeks ago the speedo in my 96 explorer started to behave

Reply to
Len

My cruise control is a mess. It runs the car by the speed the speedo shows, so if the speedo dips the cruise control starts to accelerate even if it alredy runs at the speed it was set to. I found a thread in another forum that points to the "inside" gear. So I guess I will be changing that one too. Heres a link to the forum:

will let you know how it goes Len skrev:

Reply to
pac

Removed the "inside" gear today and it was realy worn out. The teeth in the middle of the gear were the VSS connects are almost gone completly, so I have now orderd a new one. I just wonder why the gears get worn? pac skrev:

Reply to
pac

Problem solved. The replacement of the speedo gear fixed the problem. Now the speedo is accurate, the tranny is shifting ok and the cruise control is also working.

Best regards,

Patrik

pac skrev:

Reply to