Coolant leaking problem

1996 Eddie Bauer 6C 4.0cyl. Through a hose (one of four) which connect to something in the top, left, back, of the engine. Expensive? Do it myself? what could I expect to pay? Thanks in advance.

MC

Reply to
mrkcas

In general, replacing a rubber hose is a very easy repair. But just as in doing anything for the first time, it's always possible to damage something in the process and create a bigger problem than the one you were attempting to fix. That's how we all learn. I am afraid that "connects to something in the top..." is not a good enough description to diagnose what you are talking about. How about posting a link to a photograph?

Reply to
Happy Traveler

As HT says we need more information. On my 91 and 92 there are only two hoses going to the heater core which is about where you described. I'll take a look at my daughter's 97 when she comes home tonight and see if it has four hoses.

If it IS the heater core is seems more likely that the core would be leaking than the hoses so you might want to make certain that it's a hose leak. Sometimes the hoses are difficult to remove and I've used a 3 foot pry bar to get them off the heater core but I was replacing the core anyway.

Reply to
Ulysses

It is just a guess, but you could be refering to the heater valve. If that is where the coolant is coming from, it may be the valve and not the hoses. That repair would be fairly simple, and the parts cost is under $30 for aftermarket parts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Petrone