2004 Ford Explorer towing

We just bought a 2004 ford explorer. I don't believe it has the towing package because it has the class II receiver on it. Is it possible to still get the towing package that would have come with the vehicle when it was new. My understanding is you get the 3.73 axel ratio instead of the 3.55 axle ratio. IS this something the dealer does? Sorry for my ignorance on this. We'd like to tow a small ultralight travel trailer with a loaded weight of 4000 pounds.

Thanks for your help! Dave

Reply to
db

A dealer could install new gears (is your 2WD?). You also will need the extra transmission cooler. Which engine do you have? With the 4.0L and class II towing package the vehicle is only rated to tow 3400lb max. The 4.6L with the class II package is only rated to tow 20lsb more (3420lb). The Class III/IV package get you up to 5380 lb with the 4.0l or 7000lb with the 4.6L (but then it also has a different transmission I think). I think if you want to tow a 4000lb trailer you will need a new rear gear (and front if it is

4WD) and a big transmission cooler.

Reference

(2004 Owners Guide)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reference

(2004 Owners Guide)>

THanks for the feedback.... I would definitely get the class iii/IV hitch that's my goal....I do have 4wd so I would need to the front and the rear. I'll ask the dealer.. Appreciate all your help on this.

Dave

Reply to
db