Dang Fords

Just replaced pow'r steering gear box, pump is now shot. Have a new leak, heavy, below the tran fluid check stick. Looks to be tranny fluid but pretty dark. Can anyone tell me my next nightmare?

Reply to
Paul Dill

Well, it's not like the car was 15 years old or anything, right? Nothing is forever......

I would hazard a guess that the old steering box mortally wounded the pump - no surprise there if we delay needed repairs. For your transmission leak, might I guess that the service history of the trans is a little sketchy - or maybe non-existant? Dark fluid is a sign that it might be past due time to remove the pan and offer careful inspection... it may already be too late.

My 92 had nearly 200,000 km on it when we waved goodbye. We sold it to friends of my loving brides and they have had at least two years of troublefree use..

I'm not one to put up with a truck that has problems... I maintain my units religiously. To neglect a small problem is to allow it to turn into a big one....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Doesn't sound good. Unfortunately I don't think it would be very easy for power steering fluid to be leaking over there.

Reply to
Ulysses

Yeah, 15 going on ancient. It maybe time to move on. The cost of maintaining is far outweighing the cost of payment. The transmission is slipping (a lot) and she having big trouble engaging into drive after backing up. "The old nag just ain't got it in her no more". As far as maintenance though I have had to keep up real strict regiments, however it's becoming a fight I care not too win. front U joint seized up this past day as well. She was a good truck (sobbing in the background). Never mind the rust and the holes the rust gave her all around the rear end. I really want to take her out to my bud's farm and run her around his quad track just to make her feel like a truck before I put her down. Maybe even take her off the table top!!! That'll make her proud!

Reply to
Paul Dill