gear oil leaks out faster than gasoline?

Found two major leaks left to address on my '55 coupe - heater valve (and to a lesser extent, radiator and heater core) and steering box. The steering box I'd filled with gasoline and let sit for a week before installing it, and it held it without leaking a drop. (I figured it would be a good test, and I also wanted to dissolve the black, tarry goo that had replaced the gear oil inside it.) Today I went to check underneath the car and while it no longer appears to leak oil, there's a significant mess on the frame below the steering box, and the box itself is dry. A finger dab on the frame shows that it's gear oil not power steering fluid (the gear oil I used was amber colored while the P/S fluid is red like ATF) what gives?

OK, so it looks like I need to go to plan b) which was to have a steering box rebuilt. I fortunately have two as I bought one from Lee D. for just such an eventuality. From all I've read it sounds like Lares Mfg. is the place to send it, anyone have any experience with them?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

gasoline probably ate the seals up, next time use kerosene, diesel fuel or mineral spirits.........or better yet consult with an engineer prior to using gasoline as a cleaning compound!

Reply to
oldcarfart

OOOOOOO , Calvin, you are sooo cruel.

Reply to