Door Locks - 97

Front doors work fine, back left lock will operate manually, right back lock is stuck down and the door won't open.

I'm more concerned about that door, so any suggestions on how to proceed? I'd like to fix it myself if possible, but honestly don't know how they operate so thought I would ask before tearing apart the insides. Thanks

Reply to
madmax

The lock actuator is probably jammed. This happens with age and corrosion from water intrusion into the actuator. You'll need to get inside the door and force the actuator from it's bracket so the entire actuator is free to move allowing the lock button to unlock the door so you can open it. Bad part is getting the door panel loose. I'd try lowering the window and forcing the top of the doorpanel off the window sill thereby opening a gap that may allow you to reach inside the door cavity and free the actuator from it's bracket. If you can't access the actuator that way then you'll need to remove the panel from the inside. Either approach will likely cause some cosmetic damage to the doorpanel, but in my experience the damage is seldom seen once the panel is reinstalled. The actuator is in the rear end of the door and the actuator bracket is riveted to the door skin; but the rivet isn't accessible with the door closed. The bracket "U" shaped and the opening of the "U" clips around the body of the actuator. The idea is to get the actuator out of the "U" Once you get the door open, if you want to replace the actuator, you'll likely need to remove the doorlatch assembly to do so. Many of those Ford actuators have a "U" shaped bend in the end of the actuator rod where it fits in the hiole of the latch linkage, and there isn't room inside the door to get the roughly 180 degree rotation needed to disengage it from the latch. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reply to
Fleneer

Thanks I'll give it a shot

Reply to