Engine Sludge Problem / Synthetic Lubricant

I saw an article yesterday that talked about a sludge problem with certain engines from a number of manufacturers, including VW, Chrysler, Toyota and Saab. The article said that these engines tend to form sludge no matter the driving conditions or maintenance. It appears that they may have hot spots where oil is held long enough to break down and plug passages, requiring replacement of the engine.

This is the strongest argument I have seen yet for using synthetic oil. I have never used it in my vehicles, but am now seriously thinking about it. Those of you using synthetic in your Explorers - what viscosity do you use and how often do you change?

Reply to
Big Shoe

I use Amsoil 5W20. I change it every 7500 miles (about a half year for me). I have absolutely no problems with this oil. Previous to Amsoil, I used Mobil 1 and I probably still would, but they didn't offer the viscosity that the 2002 - 2005 specs call for.

Al in Poughkeepsie

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

Mobil 1 0W20 lists the appropriate Ford specs for newer Fords that specify 5w20 oil, so it is OK to use.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Mobil 1 0W20 lists the appropriate Ford specs for newer Fords that specify 5w20 oil, so it is OK to use.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Where was the article? I'd like to read it.

Been using Mobil1 since it came out ( over 10 years now???). Many engines, including a BMW 735. I change at 8,000 no problems of any kind. I use 10-

  1. Just went to the new 15,000 or one year stuff. I guess AMSoil has a 25,
000 or one year synthetic.

The true synthetics are Mobil1, AMSoil, Redline. The other synthetics are apparently use grade 3 oil base stocks with a "hydro cracking process" - not true grade 4 base stock synthetics.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Where was the article? I'd like to read it.

Been using Mobil1 since it came out ( over 10 years now???). Many engines, including a BMW 735. I change at 8,000 no problems of any kind. I use 10-

  1. Just went to the new 15,000 or one year stuff. I guess AMSoil has a 25,
000 or one year synthetic.

The true synthetics are Mobil1, AMSoil, Redline. The other synthetics are apparently use grade 3 oil base stocks with a "hydro cracking process" - not true grade 4 base stock synthetics.

Reply to
stevie

I've been using Mobil 1 since 1976. I've never had any failure related to an engine since I started using it. My last car before I started using Explorers was a 1994 Toyota Camry 4cyl. I sold it with 130,000 miles. It still didn't use any oil between changes. Oil changes being somewhere between 5,000 and 7,500 miles. My first 2 Explorers were leases. I used standard oil on them. My current explorer is a 2003. I bought this one and have been using Mobil 1 from the beginning.

Reply to
syclone

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 and a Wix filter every 5000 miles or so.

Reply to
Ed Mann

The Amsoil XL7500 product line is not a "true" synthetic. It is like Castrol Syntec, a highly processed group 3 oil. But at least it is API Certified.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White