Explorer Suspension Sucks!! Help please!!

Hi everyone!

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 Eddie Bauer w/ 125,000 miles. I know the tires on the car are "hard" riding tires. Also, I just put on new soft riding shocks too.

However, the suspension feels loose and rides very hard. Go over a bump or hole and the whole car shakes. The new shocks don't make a difference.

Any suggestions on what can be done to improve the suspension on the car to ride smoother and not feel every little bump? Should I do new springs?

Thank you!

- MJT

Reply to
MJT

What kind of tires you have? If they are extra load rated, they will ride harder because of the stiffer sidewall. Look at the rating.

Reply to
SizzleMP

You bought a TRUCK, not a Cadillac land barge. Why are you surprised it rides like a truck? You bought a 4x4 which is especially surprising.

Reply to
SkyOrDie

The suspension is loose and very hard... both at the same time???? I assume this is yoiur first SUV and you haven't had it long? This is a truck with four doors..... been a long time since I had a car so I can't compare. I think my '92 is pretty nice... the 02 SuperCrew is a tad wishy washy since they were trying for a car ride....

The only hard riding tires I can think of are load range E and up.... Irf this is your first SUV, you will need to learn to deal with it. These aren't cars..... never have been even though they sometimes pretend to be...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I know it's a truck, I've owned trucks. My point is that it doesn't ride like when the vehicle was new...

I'm looking to find a way to restore that original ride feel.

Is there something that can be improved beyond the shocks, and tires?

Reply to
MJT

We first need to identify what it is that displeases you about the ride. Be sure that your tires are load range C (sorry, these aren't my bag) and be sure that the tire pressures are adjusted according to the Ford recommendations...... this has little to do with what the tire sidewall says. Also, shock selection is crucial.... you may choose a "performance" shock without checking how the shock affects performance.... rough terrain shocks are quite different from smooth road cornering shocks.

Has the ride height been altered? Are the tires and wheels original or at least original size? You haven't given enar enough info for an accurate diagnosis, but I get the feeling the answer is very, very simple.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hmmm... soft riding shocks may not be the right choice... if you want a feel like when it was new... use the type of shocks it had when it was new. The shocks may also be defective, since you noted that changing them made no difference...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

"MJT" wrote in news:XK0Ta.116$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

Dump it and buy Japanese. That is the only way you will improve the ride handling...As a side benefit, replacing the explorer with a Japanese make will also give you much better reliability and resale..

Reply to
Herbie

Suspension bushings, spring and shocks change strength with age, tires and air pressure are also a major factor in ride quality. Spring rates and shock valving are major contributors as well. And, what is good for my perception of a good ride probably isn't anywhere near that for you. Not right or wrong, just what I like versus what you like.

Replace all the bushings, (including the body mounts), springs, put the original tires on (that's tough as the design does change), original shocks and you might have it feel close to "new".

Reply to
rakster

This is what I was looking for! Thanks so much Rakster!

Reply to
MJT

Make sure the support pillar/bracket holding the top of the shock & spring has not bent/twisted/torn/broken as happened to me. It rides really bad then!

difference.

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Had the same problem with an otherwise wonderful 95 explorer. I fanally justified changing tires to a much softer riding Tiger Paw radial. The wifey noticed a difference before backing completely out of the driveway.

A decent tire seems to cove a multitude of suspension sins

Reply to
volvodude