Ford Explorer Sport 2001

I'm looking at buying an Explorer from a local dealer and would like to know if there is anything I need to check before I sign all the paperwork. It is the 4x2 with 54k miles and appears to be in good shape. They will be replacing the driver side mirror and the windshield.

After doing a quick search I haven't found any major problems with the model but Like I said it was a quick search. Any suggestions on what I should check before it's a done deal.

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
JSS

I usually recommend that an interested purchaser have the unit check by a disinterested 3rd party shop. Aside from checking know wear`areas (particularly brakes and suspension and steering components) they can also look for evidence of abuse, poor service history or accident.

I say "disinterested 3rd party" for two reasons. First, you have a salesman that wants to make a sale...... unless you know him/her personally, you have no idea regarding their integrity. Second, all too often, someone will coerce themselves into purchasing the wrong vehicle.

Reply to
Jim Warman

This is obvious, but you also want to get a Carfax report.

Kevin DeAngelis

I keep forgetting about that.... we don't have this particular service. Where I live, cars that have been written off must be recertified by an independent shop and for questions regarding ownership we can refer to Central Registries.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jeff, be advised that the "Sport" is rather squirrley at speeds above 60MPH. I traded in my 1999 Sport for a new 2002 4 door JUST for that reason! Other than that I had ZERO trouble with it and really liked it. Just trips to Las Vegas were a "E" Coupon ride on the 15 freeway at 70 MPH. It would begin to fishtail on it's own, blown all over the road by gusts of wind, forget passing a semi at that speed. For a "Around town" grocery-getter it's fine.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik