Location of 4x4 shift module?

Where is the 4x4 shift control module? As I understand it, it's in a wheel well somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look or how to identify it, when I do find it.

Reason I ask is I was all but given a 1993 Explorer w/ non-functional

4WD. The dealer tested it and says the shift control module is the problem. I'd like to try to find a used one, rather than pay through the nose for a new part.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Look in the back end cargo area, you will find a panel. If you open it you will find it there.

I had a similar issue, but it took myself in the cab and a buddy underneath with a gentle tap on the shift motor to bump it back into action. I think moisture must have gotten to it or something.

Reply to
John Riggs

I've tried that, to no avail. I'm considering borrowing the electronics module from a friend's Explorer (1994, mine is a 1993) to see if that does the trick.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski