high mt. brake light

on 1996 explorer, high mt. brake lt. is neon w/ ballast. Ford wants $200 fo new ballast. does anyone know another solution?

Reply to
mengle

Leave it burnt out and risk getting a ticket. You can't get the part except from a Ford dealer.

Reply to
Ratbert

For a time after my neon tube shattered, I had one of those $19.95 LED light strips INSIDE where the neon tube used to be. It lasted for three years before I broke down and purchased the assembly from Ford for about $212.

Reply to
Vito

Time to hit the junkyard. Lots of rollovers out there. Don't pay more than

25% of the price of the new part.

Once a car hits 5 or 6 years old I hit the junkyards. For instance: Transfer case reman installed by dealer is 1,800 - 2,000. Junkyard or used

150 to 400 for the case. I'll install it for those kinds of savings.

Good luck!

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com