PTFE tape on brake bleeding nipples

Is it acceptable to wrap a layer of PTFE tape as used by plumbers when assembling threaded pipe couplings around the threads of brake bleeding nipples to stop them from seizing up and possibly snapping off when unscrewing them ?

Reply to
The Technical Manager

Sounds a good idea. Wonder why they don't use it as standard. Dave.

Reply to
DaveK

What's wrong with a smear of copperslip? Been doing that for years, always works.

Reply to
Grunff

It is probably just overlooked as PTFE tape is a plumbers material and not one used anywhere on cars. Alternatively manufacturers could enjoy making an extra profit from selling new brake calipers when bleeding nipples snap off. PTFE is a highly inert substance but does anyone know if it reacts with brake fluid ?

Reply to
The Technical Manager

Grunff mumbled:

Here too. Obviously you make sure that the grease doesn't get onto the seating cone, but it certainly stops the threads seizing.

Reply to
Guy King

"biscuit" mumbled:

PTFE has an upper service temperature limit (for 20,000 hour life) of

260°C...so I don't suppose that'd be too much of a problem.
Reply to
Guy King

And in reality can withstand much higher temperatures for short durations. When I was doing lab work I experimented (in a fume cupboard, of course) with PTFE, and found that 600C overnight didn't affect the mechanical properties significantly.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff mumbled:

Hmmm, that'd boil yer brake fluid!