IAT Sensor location 94 explorer?

Hi everyone. I have a 94 EB Explorer 4x4. I have a haynes manual that saids I have a IAT Sensor in my air intake assembly.

I cannot find this and also noticed the picture in the haynes manual that is supposed to be my explorer is not accurate because my battery is on the passenger side unlike the picture which shows it on the driver side.

Do I have a IAT ???

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

Ashton Crusher

Yeah that is what I am seeing. The Haynes manual shows a Inlet Air Temperature sensor on the tubing of the air intake.

Guess it was a mistake by Haynes. I see mods to connect to the IAT that fool the computer into thinking the temp is different thus causing the computer to alter the fuel air ration etc...supposed to be a performance mod.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

[...]

Not sure what an IAT sensor is. Do you mean IAC valve? Here is a website describing a fix for the IAC valve that has lots of pictures of this part that might help.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Sam, are you sure that's not Intake Air Temperature sensor?

Steven

Sam wrote:

Steven Hilgendorf

YES YES that is what I have been trying to spit out over the last couple of post. The service manual saids I have one however I cannot find it. Do you know where it is on 94 EB 4x4 4.0litre Engine VIN X .

Thanks Sam >Sam, are you sure that's not Intake Air Temperature sensor?

Reply to
Sam

Well I think I found the location of the sensor. After many hints from many users I have located what I believe to be the IAT on my 94 Explorer 4.0L Pushrod V6.

I finally found a diagram that shows the location being on the upper intake assembly towards the firewall on the driver side. I have a Service Manual from Ford that states that as the location in addition to the same manual saying it is elsewhere. What a headache it was but now I am sure of the location. I also have found out that I have heated o2 sensors on the lower intake manifold which was a surprise.

I also wanted to post an update to the mysterious coolant leak I have been experiencing over the last year. The coolant leaves no drips anywhere so it is obviously being sucked up in the engine. I have posted about this many times. Well two weeks ago I went ahead and tightened the lower intake manifold bolts. I did notice a difference in the engine however the coolant loss is still there. I planned on replacing the intake manifold gaskets last week but do to a brake emergency that required me to replace the both rotors, both calipers, and pads I put off the intake manifold until the upcoming weekend. The brakes are awesome now and it gave me a chance to see in person the front wheel 4wheel drive hardware as I had to pull the front wheel bearings and cam assemblies off to perform that job.

Anyway I hope the intake manifold job goes okay. I have all the parts I need and will embark on the manifold this weekend.

Later.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

I'am sure it was

Reply to
JohanB

Jokes aside, I would seriously advise someone who can't find the IAT, and instead discovers oxygen sensors threaded into the intake manifold, to acquire a bit more education before doing his own engine repairs.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Its his car, he can do whatever he wants with it

We tried to help him (see other posts),but sometimes get replies like this

Reply to
JohanB

My message mentioned that I found out I have heated 02 Sensors. How does that reflect the knowledge that is in my head. When I was in school working on engines there was no such item on vehicles. The last vehicle I owned had an o2 sensor on the exhaust pipe only. The heated o2 sensors on the manifold are not to visible on my explorer to one unless you look very carefully.

My statement was a discovery statement adding a level of conversation to the post which I hope would prompt discussion.

I could understand if I said, "What is a heat o2 sensor. Will it hurt my engine if I take it out? What tools do I need?" Statements like that scare me and would alert me to the ability of someone to work on a vehicle.

Anyway in the future if you have something to say about my knowledge then please ask me a question instead of making insulting remarks without having any idea of who you are talking to. You have never met me in person and have no idea of the knowledge in my head. For the record I am a 43 year old Network Administrator by day and rely on the knowledge taught to me in 2 years of High School Auto Mechanics and 3 years of being an automobile mechanic to work on my vehicles on the weekend. I supplement that knowledge by talking to helpful individuals here on this newsgroup like you.

This weekend I plan on removing the intake manifold on my explorer. If I had the time and the money I would rebuild the engine. I do know how to do that. Stumble across a "heated o2 sensor" might throw me for a loop as I consider it a needless piece of crap that is required on vehicles today.

Everyone has a first time for stumbling across an unknown component on their vehicle. I know you never have because you know everything.

Sam Cederas

Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

That 'piece of crap' is helping us all breathe cleaner air by shortening the 'open loop' engine operation when warming up. And by the way, just like the older, unheated variety, it belongs in the exhaust, not in the intake. Hope this helps.

Happy Traveler

I have 3 Explorers and I didn't know there were O2 sensors on the intake manifold. I thought they were only on the exhaust but I've not yet had any problems with them.

There is no such thing as a Network Administrator--they are fictional creatures like elves, fairies, and Republicans. Windows is constantly telling me to ask my Network Administrator for permission to use my computer but since I don't have a Network Administrator I can't ask him/her. Meanwhile my Network won't work. Windows should simply call it Notwork and be done with it.

Have you done a compression test? These engines last an awful long time as long as you change the oil once-in-a-while and don't redline it all the time.

Reply to
Ulysses