New Beetle AM Reception Fix

This has probably been addressed but is there a fix for the poor AM reception on a 98 VW New Beetle?

Reply to
C&G

The stock antenna has an amplifier in the base. You can get some FM reception without supplying power to it, but no AM reception.

Power is supplied through the center antenna connector on factory stereos. If you have installed an aftermarket stereo, make sure you connect the (usually) blue antenna power lead to the power lead on your antenna adapter.

HTH, Oskar

Reply to
Oskar Matzerath

||This has probably been addressed but is there a fix for the poor AM ||reception on a 98 VW New Beetle?

Pur 2000 NB has never had AM reception since new. The dealer was unable to fix it. That's been about 4 years, perhaps they are smarter now but it's out of warranty.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

||> This has probably been addressed but is there a fix for the poor AM ||> reception on a 98 VW New Beetle? || ||The stock antenna has an amplifier in the base. You can get some FM ||reception without supplying power to it, but no AM reception. || ||Power is supplied through the center antenna connector on factory stereos. ||If you have installed an aftermarket stereo, make sure you connect the ||(usually) blue antenna power lead to the power lead on your antenna adapter.

Is there an easy way to find out if the antenna is getting power, short of disassembling the dash? My porblem is with the OE radio

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I wouldn't want to be a customer for a dealer that doesn't know how to swap a radio. That's how you would fix it.

Reply to
Peter Parker

||>Pur 2000 NB has never had AM reception since new. The dealer was unable to fix ||>it. That's been about 4 years, perhaps they are smarter now but it's out of ||>warranty. ||>

||>Texas Parts Guy || ||I wouldn't want to be a customer for a dealer that doesn't know how to ||swap a radio. That's how you would fix it.

I agree, and we haven't been back to that dealership. Never got the radio fixed. There's only so much time one can devote to arranging for 3-day dealership visits. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B