"New" '97 Explorer Questions

Greetings all,

OK, so the '97 is only new to me/us, just purchased this weekend for our daughter. The subject is a '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition, 5.0 engine, AWD. Main question, after finding and fixing a bad #7 plug wire, how can I reset the "Check Engine" light? Have been told that only a factory tool will do so and that it must go through a "drive cycle" approx. 200 miles. Secondary questions, the vehicle has a few other minor problems, unfortunately they mostly seem to be electrical. In no particular order; Driver side door lock control will lock but not unlock the doors; Passenger side headlight will not work on low beams, works on high, put new bulb in, same problem. Is it "normal" for the AWD to hear a "decelerating roar" when decelerating? Roar may be a bit strong of a word, but not sure what else to call it.

I realize that the first 2 problems will probably require an electrical diagram and a meter, just thought someone might be able to give me a starting point based on previous history.

Thank you in advance for your patience and any and all replies, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

"Jim C Roberts" wrote in news:a66dnU_vlr1P_kfYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so to reset the CEL.

The door lock control is easy to RR. On mine the switch contactor had some corrosion which prevented reliable function.

Can't help with the headlight or drivetrain noise.

Reply to
Clark

Replace the Lamp Out Module (LOM). It's located under the message center, I think under the cupholder to be more accurate. Remove the message center and cupholder panel completely. Do not disconnect the large wire harness with a bolt through it. From what I remember, it's a small black plastic box with wire harness going to it. Once you disconnect the LOM, all exterior lights will go out and confirm that you have found it.

Reply to
Xx