No fuel at fuel rail

I've got a '96 Ford Explorer V8 2WD. I parked it for lunch and now it will crank but will not start. There is no fuel pressure on the fuel rail / schrader valve. I've checked all of the fuses. I've replaced the fuel relay. Still no joy. Now suspect fuel pump. Any other suggestions? If it is the fuel pump, what is a reasonable repair cost estimate and what would be required to replace the fuel pump?

Reply to
William Dawes

"William Dawes" wrote in news:rinJm.7675$de6.4143 @newsfe21.iad:

Sounds familiar. '97 Explorer, V6, 4WD. Same symptoms as yours. I also bypassed the fuel shutoff switch, and then checked the voltages under the rear end at the plug going to the fuel tank harness. Everything checked out. Had to have it towed in. Fuel pump alone was $400, plus $200 to drop the tank and replace it.

Reply to
Al Tsiemers

It was fuel pump. Ford dealer wanted $800+ just to R&R fuel pump. Firestone wanted $507 to R&R fuel pump and fuel filter. Firestone was close to the house, fast, and the same tech that worked on my truck has worked on it before and has been there for several years.

Reply to
William Dawes

WOW you found an honest Firestone shop!!! Rarer then chicken teeth.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well, I don't go in to Firestone totally blind. As stated above, I checked everything that I could think of checking. The Check Engine light was on as I was driving my truck home. I wasn't on prior to this event. I hooked up a Car Chip and determined it was an EGR problem. I returned to Firestone and the tech checked out the EGR and turned off the Check Engine light with his scanner (I could have turned off the CE light with my Car Chip) and the CE light has not been on since. I've had the EGR replaced multiple times by the dealer. I've cussed at Ford many times for some of their designs - such as putting the PCV valve to where you can't even see in at the rear of the engine. Why not on the valve cover?

I'm going to be looking for a ~1968 pickup truck as my next vehicle - I can't see putting $20k into an new one.

Reply to
William Dawes