Oil Filter adapter leak

2002 Moutaineer 4.6L AWD. I've got a leak that is coming from the fitting where the oil filter screws on. It is definitely not the filter itself or the filter gasket. Did a little internet research. Seems the oil filter adapter that bolts to the block has a gasket that tends to leak. I'm pretty sure that is the problem as the leak is dripping off the lowest bolt. I can't find a procedure for removing the adapter in my Chilton manual. I hear there are four bolts but I can only see one from underneath. Apparently I also will have to remove the lower radiator hose (after draining the radiator) because it uses the same adapter. Anyone have a specific procedure for this year, engine and drive train. I'm worried that I might have to remove the front axle, and if that is true, I'll probably just let it leak for now. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply to
me

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:hd8dps$ouu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Well since no one could/would answer my question, so I'll do it myself for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem. I signed up for Alldata, only $14 for a year. They had a repair procedure for oil filter adapter that didn't mention removing the front axle so I went for it. Then answer is, that it can be done, it is just hard. Small hands (not me) would probably help. I was just able to get my hand up between the front differential and the steering rack to reach the back bolts. A 1/4 inch drive ratchet was the only thing that would fit in the space. Not much torque but managed to do the job. Use a two inch extention and a 1/2 socket. It's really a 13mm, but 1/2 inch is just that much smaller to make a really tight fit and you'll need that to make sure the socket doesn't slip off. Hope this wisdom helps somebody.

Reply to
me

What do you get for $14 a year?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry, I need to correct that. I was going from memory which is fading faster each year. It is $26.95 per year for the first vehicle, and $16.95 for each additional vehicle, or you can sign up for 3 years for $44.95 for the first vehicle and $29.95 for each additional vehicle. I took the 1 year deal on one vehicle so I could see if it's any good. What you get is full access, they say, to the full factory manual and all TSBs for the vehicle you purchase the service for. I does seem pretty comprehensive, certainly way more than a Chiltons or Hayes manual. I know that if you bought the whole thing on disks it would cost hundreds of dollars. Here's a link:

I don't have any connection with them, but so far I think its a great deal and would recommend if you want some serious repair info.

Reply to
me

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:hfqg1v$5vn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Correction to my correction (I told you I was losing it;-): The $44.95 for one vehicle and $29.95 for each additional vehicle gets you FIVE (5) years (not just 3 as I incorrectly stated).

Reply to
me

Thanks

Reply to