1989 Lincoln Towncar 5.0L EFI Fuel Pressure Relief

I am replacing the fuel filter on my 1989 Lincoln TownCar that has the 5.0 liter w/EFI. Looking at the shop manual it tells me to relieve the fuel line pressure with a relief valve that is located on the LH side of the car toward the front. Does that mean the left hand side as I sit in the driver seat or looking under the hood? I can't seem to find this valve. Additionally how do I relieve the pressure at the valve once I find it? Does this require special tools?

Thank, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Sharon K. Cooke

Reply to
Thomas Moats

The left or right is always determined from the drivers seat looking forward.

John

Reply to
PC PODD

in article 1z19b.54506$cj1.23331@fed1read06, Robert L. Wells at snipped-for-privacy@nospamcox.net wrote on 9/14/03 11:28 AM:

Most vehicles have a switch that cuts the fuel supply in the event of an accident. If your vehicle is jarred hard enough, the switch will trip and cut the fuel. I have an 89 Bronco II, and to relieve the pressure on it, the manual says to disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel cutoff switch, which happens to be located under the carpet near the passenger floorboard up front. Some cars have them in the trunk. After disconnecting the connector on the switch, start the engine and run it til it quits.

Otherwise, you can relieve pressure at the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail (look at the intake manifold near the injectors for a valve that looks like a tire valve.) Just don't release the fuel onto a hot engine.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jason Carter

"Jason Carter" wrote

Just make sure it's the valve on the fuel rail, and not the A/C line.

Reply to
MasterBlaster