noisy shocks?

Okay just got new shocks (4) they are KYBs installed on a '98 Explorer. Also the car is lowered 2" front/rear. I have been driving it for approx 300 miles with the new shocks. I am hearing a lot of creaking/squeaking when hitting bumps or pulling in/out of a driveway best way to describe it is it sounds like a noisy matress i.e. springs compressing and decompressing.

It seems to be loudest when I first drive off after the car is sitting in the garage for hours or over night after a few miles of driving the sounds is a lot quieter but I can still hear it but I think it is normal.

Question. Is this normal for new shocks? Could it be something else maybe the bushings? I have not yet talked to the shop that installed the shocks I just want to get some ideas before I take it back in.

Thanks

Reply to
northstar

I don't recall for sure who, might have been Dr. Bob, who posted about KYB shocks on his Porsche that were noisy like that. Whoever it was thought the whole suspension was about to come apart but it was just the shocks. I just put some on my S-10 and haven't heard any new noises but I'm not impressed with their response characteristics. From now on I think I'll stick with the Monroe Reflex, I've had good luck with them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The KYBs performs fine for me centainly better than the stocks I had but my biggest concern is the noise...sigh.

Reply to
northstar

i put monroe reflex in after about 30k with factory shocks. i really noticed an improvement. no noise either.

Reply to
Spud Unger

So I gotta ask:

Did you put the shocks in that were specified in the catalog, or did you order a set of shocks for a suspension with 2 inches less travel (custom order?)

If you put the shocks spec'd in the catalog in, you used up 2 inches of travel when you lowered the truck, and you are bottoming the shocks out.

Or did you move your shock mounts to compensate for lowering the truck?

Reply to
Hey Seuss via CarKB.com

The parts that I was quoted on and written on the WO are for lowered SUVs so I presume the shop installed shocks that are specified for lowered SUVs.

I took the explorer in for a re-torque and I also reported the issue to the tech, I took him in for a test drive and sure enough very little to no noise when we went for a ride. But I did tell him that the noise is most noticeable after the vehicle has been sitting around for a while.

The tech recommended that I put more milage on it and if it becomes worst just bring it back in and they will replace the shocks they also told me that the shocks has lifetime warranty.

Reply to
northstar