Plug Wire question

My future brother in law has a 2000 5.0 V8 Explorer. It had been running rough and had a check engine light on. I changed out the plugs, but did not do the wires on the advice of the man at Napa. It still was running rough, but better than before. My fiancee's father took it to the dealer on Monday, and they changed 1 defective wire. Is this just asking for trouble, not replacing the whole set... This vehicle has 96000 miles on it and the wires are originals.

Thanks!!

Scott

Reply to
Deanna L. Bowman and Scott T. Indresano

I'd change them all...it's not like they are expensive. And 96000 miles on a wire set is a good length of time.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

Speaking of length of time....... What would be the appropriate time to change plug wires? Is it determined by mileage or years? I have heard conflicting reports. My Explorer is a 96' 4.0L with original wires and plugs but only 40k miles on it. Motor still seems to run fairly smooth, but I can't remember how it ran when new. Should I be changing mine about now too?

Reply to
gordo