Power antenna does not completely retract after repair (99 Explorer)

I replaced the antenna mast for my power antenna. I took the power antenna unit apart, and found several pieces of the long white plastic piece used to extend and retract the mast. After replacing it, and putting everything back where it belongs, the antenna comes up, but doesn't come down all the way (about 5" sticking out). To make sure that the new antenna mast was inserted properly, I took only the mast out (removing the big hex nut and pulling on the antenna while it's up), and while the motor is trying to retract the antenna after turning off the radio, I re-fed the plastic piece into it. It pulls on it until its back inside, but I tried several times, and every get the same result.

I put as much lubricant as I could on the antenna mast, to ensure that it's not a friction issue.

Anyone has encounter a similar issue?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

Missing tooth on the white nylon gear that pulls the nylon strip down? If it gets to the sticking point, and you push it down further while the motor is still running, does it grab and continue down?

The other possbility is that one of the antenna tube sections, which are supposed to be perfectly round, has gotten slightly crushed. A slightly oval section won't pull into the perfectly circular section below it.

Bill

------------------

DFast> I replaced the antenna mast for my power antenna. I took the power antenna

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

You can remove the splash shield from the right wheel well and there are three 10mm bolts that hold it in. It's pretty straight forward once you get it out. I have attached a post I downloaded about

6months ago when I did mine. It took about an hour to complete and I had to remove the motor to get the broken drive cable out. The new antenna cost about $33.45 plus shipping from ford-parts.com.

This is from the repair CD:

Automatic Electric Antenna

Removal

  1. Using an appropriate tool, unsnap the cap from the antenna base and remove the radio antenna base cap (18A927).

  1. Remove radio antenna nut (18865).

  2. Turn the ignition switch (11572) to the ACC position and turn the radio chassis (18806) on to extend the electric antenna.

  1. Firmly pull the electric antenna out of the electric antenna motor.

Installation

  1. Check the plastic cable end for a slight taper. If the cable appears to be broken, a section of the plastic cable could be inside the electric antenna motor. To remove the cable, proceed to Removal and Installation, Antenna Motor, Electric. If the cable is not broken, continue with Step 2.

  1. Obtain a new electric antenna. Position the plastic cable so the teeth are facing the front of the vehicle.

  2. Manually extend the electric antenna, then insert the cable into the electric antenna motor until resistance is felt. Turn the cable slightly left and right to fully engage the cable into the motor gear.

  1. Have an assistant turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then turn the radio chassis ON and OFF. Apply light downward pressure to the electric antenna as the electric antenna motor starts retracting. The electric antenna motor will wind the cable into the electric antenna motor drive unit and retract the electric antenna sections.

  2. Install radio antenna nut. Tighten to 9.5-10.5 N-m (84-93 lb-in).

  1. Install the radio antenna base cap.

  2. Cycle the electric antenna motor several times to ensure the electric antenna is extending and retracting properly.

I'm including this from the CD incase you need to pull the whole antenna:

Antenna Motor, Electric

Removal

  1. Lower electric antenna (18850).

  1. Remove retaining screws of RH front wheel splash shield for access to antenna lower retaining screw.

  2. Remove lower retaining screw.

  1. Using appropriate fender protection, unsnap radio antenna base cap (18A927) from antenna base and remove.

  2. Remove radio antenna nut (18865) from top of motor tube and remove electric antenna through fender/splash shield access.

  1. Disconnect radio antenna lead in cable (18812) from electric antenna.

  2. Disconnect motor wire connector from electric antenna.

  1. If a section of plastic antenna cable is to be removed from antenna motor:

l Remove the four attaching screws, drive mechanism cover and drive mechanism.

l Locate and remove the broken piece of cable.

l Install the drive mechanism, drive mechanism cover, and attaching screws.

Installation

  1. To install, reverse removal procedure.

  1. Tighten top radio antenna nut 9.5-10.5 N-m (84-93 lb-in).

  2. Tighten lower electric antenna retaining screw to 5-6 N-m (44-53 lb-in).

Reply to
kc10