problem with power windows

I have a 91 Olds Cutlass Ciera it has power windows, the drivers window when you press the button it only goes down about an inch or two at a time then stops, if you wait a few minutes it will go down some more, what would cause this? Also, if I found a door at the junkyard with crank windows, can I just do away with the power window on the drivers side and still have the other three working?

Reply to
abomb69

burnside

Simple test. Push the down button. When the window stops immediately open and close the door HARD. Now hit the switch again and see if it works without the few minutes wait. If it does you likely have bad brushes in the window motor. Turn the radio on and tune to a weak AM station. Now hit the switch and see if you hear a LOUD scratching static burst when the window moves. If you do the brushes are getting bad. Common because the drivers window gets the most use on most vehicles. Replace the motor with a good used one or a new one. Too bad you didn't have this problem about 4 weeks ago. I donated our old 91 Cutlass to the fire department and we cut it up for practice. It had good power windows on it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Pull the door panel and use a voltmeter to trace the voltage to the motor. Guessing won't fix it, you have to isolate the failure.

Reply to
Woody

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:H_WdnQqgIJdpIxvbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

the window is binding for one reason or another.......

Reply to
Kjun

You need to repair or replace the channels, I suspect.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

yeah and when I press the swtich the window will work for about an inch or two, it does not work anymore if I open and slam the door while holding the button down. after I press the switch and the window goes down and inch, if I press the button some more I hear a clicking noise

Reply to
abomb69

Does it go up smoothly? Could be the regulator, the tracks, possibly the motor. My guess is the regulator but you need some more inspection. Does it move any better if you push down at the same time as holding the switch? Try removing the panel and viewing the operation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When you try to assist it going down it still only will go down an inch or so....

Reply to
abomb69

Power window problems are very typical of GM cars, especially when they get a little age on them. It can be a variety of things, including bad motors, binding, electrical issues, etc.

You just have to dig into it and find the problem.

Reply to
<HLS