Tire rotation pattern for 2002 Corolla

The 2002 Corolla CE user manual states that the tire rotation should be in the pattern of Front Left Rear Left and Front Right Rear Right ( which is perfect normal), but NOT in Front Left Rear Right (kitty cross way).

This is a bit bizzard to me that you should not rotate the tire in kitty cross way. Any one knows why?

Reply to
Valutek

Radial tires should always be rotated so that the direction of rotation does not change. Rotating them to the other side of the vehicle would change the direction of rotation.

Reply to
Ray O

My Camry manuals show tire rotation as Front to Back and Back to opposite Front. Does this not make the rear radials change rotation direction?

Reply to
badgolferman

Sure does! I've seen tire rotation patterns that also include the spare but I have not noticed any recommendations that call for radial tires to change direction. Perhaps newer tires are not affected by direction change.

Reply to
Ray O

See tire rotation at

Some tires are marked with do not change rotation direction. However, if the tires are the same size front and back and that is not always the case anymore, and are not marked do not change rotation direction, you can cross them. Sometimes you will have to argue with the servicing store as some still stick to the old method when it was not recommended to cross radial tires.

Reply to
offen rong

For the first-generation American radials they had lots of problem with ply separation and failure when they were reversed, but that has long since been figured out and fixed.

If the tires are all matching (not staggered sizes like MR2 and some larger trucks) and not marked as unidirectional, and there's nothing else special about them, you can cross-rotate the tires.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Ray, you ARE saying that they can initially be run either way but once used to run 'forward' then they should not be set to run backwards?

The last set of good winter tires I bought were marked 'outside' on one side...my dealer noticed that the garage where I had bought them had ignored this marking and mixed them up...he insisted that they needed to be remounted...we did. How important is that 'outside/inside' thing?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

First of all, I'll admit that I don't pay much attention to tire technology, other than what it takes to repair them, balance them, and mount them, but that used to be the case for radial tires. I guess they belts took a "set" after they were run for a while. Other posters have suggested that this is no longer the case, and I have not bothered to see if they are correct or not because either way, I just rotate front to rear on my personal vehicles.

Some tires are directional - meant to rotate in a certain direction so that they clear water better - think Goodyear AquaTreds. Others have an outside and inside to assist with cornering and/or outside tread shoulder life.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok...thanks Ray...I guess the 'rotation restricted' kind likely have an arrow to indicate the direction...but the ones marked 'outside' are different.

I went back to the same garage where I bought these to get them remounted about a week ago and had words with the same boss about them mixing up the tires last year...he said "Sorry, they're supposed to rotate one way only, we'll do it right this time" (mentioned a young guy did it last year)

I didn't have the heart to tell him that tires marked 'Outside' wouldn't be direction restricted...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Easy way to get the tires on the corner you want is to mark them for the shop with chalk.

Unidirectional tires generally have an arrow to indicate direction. I've never noticed tires marked with "outside," proving my limited knowledge in this area :-)

Reply to
Ray O