blend door

Anyone got any ideas about blend door problem? Shop diagnosed heat, or lack of same, as a cracked blend door. Estimate to fix was $1200+.

Is this common to F150s? Any way to fix without spending arm and leg?

Dealer also said blown head gaskets and timing cover are problems with 4.2 engine? Any advice on this?

Thanks

98 150 4.2L V6 134000 miles
Reply to
stevef

Speaking of blend doors...

My 98 explorer is in the shop now..and that is what they are telling me is wrong with my heater. $880 becasue of its location and the time it takes to get to the parts.

Reply to
Bob

I knew of this problem with Explorers, but wasn't aware that it affected F150s.

The cost is high because of labor. In my case, dealer said entire dash had to be removed.

You might want to consider replacing heater core while car is torn down.

My 98 explorer is in the shop now..and that is what they are telling me is wrong with my heater. $880 becasue of its location and the time it takes to get to the parts.

Reply to
stevef

I replaced the blend door in my 1998 Club Wagon when it was 2-1/2 years old. I had to purchase the whole housing, that's what drove the price up, then I had to disassemble so much just to get to it.

About the same price was quoted ..... k> I knew of this problem with Explorers, but wasn't aware that it affected > F150s.

Reply to
Kent

Well first they went backwards. :/ On my '75 the blend doors are steel with a foam rubber coating. I replaced the foam rubber coating with some sheets of foam I got at a "Michaels" craft shop and a-bunch-of contact cement. :) Later realized the 3M spray on contact cement would have been better.

I didn't do it because it wasn't heating etc but because I had the dash out for some other reasons and re-newing the blend doors was a simple side issue.

On my old clunker the heater core is in a separate housing and a whole different can of worms. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I had the same problem with my 1999 Expedition and had it replaced for more than $1,200.00. Afterwards I read on a newsgroup where you could forgo the repair by simply drilling a very small hole in the hinge are and install a finishing nail and it would solve the problem. You might check Ford Truck World or some other Ford sites for the repair how to. Would have saved me some big dollars!

Reply to
Merc

Cool! My favorite kind of repair- modification. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj