Slow SOHC

97 Explorer auto 4WD SOHC 82k miles My problem: When I floor my SOHC, it revs up to only about 3-3.5 thousand RPM. It rarely goes much over 4,000RPM... and if it does, it seems to go quite slow. I just started noticing this, I'm certain a few years ago my Explorer seemed much faster. Any ideas? Transmission related? I had the fluid changed 30k miles ago however I don't recall the filter being replaced. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe
Reply to
Joe

I'd think an engine related problem... when was the fuel filter last replaced? Possibly plugged converter.... Any DTCs present?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the reply Jim, Fuel filter replaced 20k miles ago. My CEL has not illuminated so I assume there are no trouble codes. In neutral it revs well above

4,000rpm. Basically, the majority of the time when I floor it nothing really happens... it picks up speed but fairly slowly. Occasionally when I gun it, it does downshift and it indeed reaches 5,000rpm (acceleration seems pretty quick) but this is again "occasionally" not very often. I'm not familiar with the converter you're referring to. Is there any way to test it? Thanks
Reply to
Joe

Catalytic converter.... there is no easy way to flow test them... A vacuum guage might give an indication - look for vacuum to slowly fall off but even this is no sure indication. You could undo the exhaust from the manifolds and try it like that.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hey Jim, I have taken notice to your expertise on this board, and I for one would like to say THANK YOU. You have helped quite a few people out here and I am sure we all appreiciate your words of wisdom.

Thanks again Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

Occasionally