Starting problem - 95 Ranger Splash

Hello good people. I got in my truck (95 Ranger Splash w/4.0 V6 2WD standard tranny) and turned the key and *nothing* from the starting system. Lights and radio, etc worked okay. This had happened once before and a new battery fixed it so I checked it (5 yrs old) first and got about a 10 volt reading so replaced it. Same problem. Got under truck with a jumper - solenoid and starter both worked okay. Jumpered the two large posts on the fender starter relay and it cranked over. Did same with key in "on" position - started and ran just fine. Ran through the tests for the ignition system (at the underdash/below steering wheel connector) per Ford Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual and all worked as it should so I'm figuring the switch is good. This leaves me with (unless I'm missing something, either a faulty fender relay or a bad Clutch Position Switch but I can't find the proper way to test either of these items. Oh, before I forget to mention it, I checked for fuses that might apply here and found only the 50Amp main ignition fuse and a 15 amp fuse for the Clutch Position Switch that seemed to apply. Both tested good with an ohm meter. I also pulled the wires off the relay terminals and gave them a good wire brushing, even though they looked quite clean. So, my question is can someone tell me how to test the relay and the clutch position switch? I thought the latter would be only a couple of wires and an easy jumper but there are about 7 or so and I have no idea what they all go to. Any and all help appreciated. Later, RJ

Reply to
Tryker