Starting Problem on 88 Exped. HELP

I have a 99 Expediton EB 2WD, 5.4 engine. This truck has never missed a beat until yesterday. Cranked up fine yesterday morning. The next attempt, nothing. The battery is fine etc. It is as iff the truck is not in park. It will not crank in neutral either. All lights come on the dash, a/c fan blows. The RADIO will not come on. I removed the batt cable to see if "something" would re-set and the radio began working UNTIL I tried to start it. Still nothing but the radio will not work now UNLESS I remove the cable again. I had it towed home and when they got it here to let it off the roll back truck, it started right up. Switched it off and now it is the same thing again, won't start, remove cable etc. I have tried both keys so I have ruled out a bad key.

Anyone have an idea of the problem?

Thanks in advance foe any help.

-Craig

Reply to
zzgraffix

Since it worked when they rolled it off the truck, I'd suspect a bad connection or loose/broken wire. Possibly at the interlock switch that won't let it start unless it's in park or neutral. Or the switch itself. Good luck!

Reply to
bill

Agreed... the MLP is a fairly delicate piece mounted in a harsh envirnment (under the car on the side of the trans). It plays a more important role than the old nuetral start/back up light switches of years gone by.

Since the radio seems to play a large part in the scenario, I would concentrate my first efforts at the battery connections and mega-fuses and also at the BJB.... the underhood fuse panel. Have an assistant work the key whilst you wiggle harnesses and connections and ou should soon see the source of the problem.

Jim Warman