steering noises

I have a 98 XLT with 76000 miles. When I make turns at slow speeds (like parking lots of garage) it makes a sound and feels like something rubbing in the steering column. Any ideas or tips? Thanks!

Reply to
c11r28

I have that same problem. I think the hydraulic cylinder (or whatever) is shuddering instead of moving smoothly.

Only happens on left turns!

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Gentlemen I have a Explorer 2002 XLT and have exactly the same problem. As Alan said on left turns and at an angle of about 60 deg. I was told that such noise is normal with 4WD. Ofcourse I didn't buy it as I had a Suzuki before and a Nissan patrol, never had that noise. I am sorry didn't have any ideas, but at least found that I am not the only one who has this problem. Cheers M8

Reply to
danjerguy