'00 Grand Cherokee Steering Column noise

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. 141,000 miles.
I'm getting a noise in the steering column on turns at low speed. Can hear it in the mornings backing up/turning out of the garage. It
happens only during turns. I can describe it as a rubbing noise, maybe a squeal. Kind of like rubber against metal. Doesn't sound or feel like anything grinding or catching or getting ready to break. Any ideas? Thanks

When precisely "during turns"? Do you hear it while you are turning the wheel? If so, it could be your steering column bearings giving up the ghost. Go into a turn, like in a parking lot, and hold the wheel steady, continuing to turn while going forward. If you still hear it, this eliminates the steering column. It could then be brakes, wheel bearings, universal joints, almost anything connected with the front drive and steering.
Cheers,
Earle

Yes, it whines while turning the wheel. I'm thinking it's the steering column bearings. It's my wife's vehicle, I'll go drive it again just for fun.
I don't imagine steering column bearings are fun for a backyard mechanic...
A whine describes low power steering fluid. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Drove it, it moans when turning the steering wheel the the left. I could hear it just turning the wheel to the left while sitting. Turning to the right doesn't seem to make the noise.

"Moans" usually means power steering problems. Check the fluid level, just in case.
Cheers,
Earle

DorkyGrin wrote:

First check for low fluid level.
--
DougW

DorkyGrin wrote:

Something from this list? http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb.htm#STEERING
I would use the squeal instead of TSB's wording. Mine had squeal and tick, TSB's 1900301a, 1900502 and 1900303 have been applied. The tick sound went away, squel is randomly still there. To less extend after 1900502 was applied.
Marko