Sudden increase in RPM cured by depressing pedal?????

I was driving ('97 Explorer) at highway speed when I heard something under the hood very loudly and very rapidly increase in RPM. My first thought was the engine had slipped out of drive, but taking my foot off the accelerator had no effect and the RPM gauge was falling.

When I applied accelerator pressure again, whatever was spinning rapidly returned to normal.

When next I took my foot off the gas pedal, the same thing repeated. I applied gas very slightly and the spinning sound returned to normal.

Sounds as if it's coming from under the hood.

Can anyone propose what this might be? - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

state tech via CarKB.com

What would the relationship be between the fan clutch and the application of the gas pedal? - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

Reply to
state tech via CarKB.com

Fan does not turn smoothly either when cold or warmed up; should it spin effortlessly? - MIke

state tech via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
mhorowit

Reply to
state tech via CarKB.com

worn transfer case brought on in part by uneven tire size - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz