timing

I have a 92' ford explorer xlt of wich i have put a new engine in rebuilt the trani another wards I have done every thing new to that truck except the bushings on the suspension and the electrical. it has ran good for some time now but have noticed that when i go to start it in the morning or after several hours of it siting after i have been driving it. it very hard to start but once i get it started it runs great I have done everything in the book and by the book . some one told me that it sounded like the timing. Problem how do you adjust the timing on an EFI system.

Reply to
redman28

you cqan't adjust the timing on your explorer and you have sed what you did by the book for testing and checking and stuff have you checked for codes because that is what i would do first and i would explain what hard to start are since hard to start can be a few different thing and we want to be sure we can help also we need to no what book you are using becos some book are rong...

i am glad you mentioned that the problem only happens after it has been siting after you drive it... this is much different than when you leave it siting after not driving it...

!!! Now that I have taken my tongue from my cheek... you deparately need to tell us what you have done and what you are experiencing.. I see it every day "Yep, I checked that..." only to find that whatever it is, didn't really get checked....

There are many here that can help you... but only if you are prepared to help yourself...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I though one can set the base timing by disabling the advance and all and set it then which sets the base timing after which time all adjustments to the timing by the computer are from a different reference point (base timing). Let me know if I am correct.

Thanks,

Sam >you cqan't adjust the timing on your explorer and you have sed what you did

Reply to
Sam

Probably not a timing problem. There is a very minor timing adjustment by the use or removal of an "octane shorting bar". This was used in an attempt to eliminate pinging. I have had it in and out and in again. I never notice any effect on starting.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Pull the plug on the TPS and try to start it. If it starts fine change the TPS. A bad TPS can alter the fuel curve, no efi pump shot, and keep it from starting. Also check your fuel pressure, I like 40 to 43 psi at idle.

Ron

Reply to
Ron B.

'92 Explorer is DIS... Ignition timing is totally computed using a crankshaft position sensor for reference. There is no provision for adjustment.

Reply to
Jim Warman

And what were you gonna adjust , the distributor ????

Reply to
JohanB

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH !!!! Dude thanks for the wakeup call. Maybe I can rotate my coil pack !!!! LOL

Thanks for slapping me in the face and waking me up. My mind was stuck in old school.

Thanks,

Sam >And what were you gonna adjust , the distributor ????

Reply to
Sam