Confusing tire rotation direction

I am confused at the conflicting description of Focus owners' manual in tire rotation with other sources. In Ford site's owners' manual

,the front tire goes to the diagonally across backside and rear tires just come to the front. However, other sources (e.g.,
rear tires come diagonally across to the front .Which is right?

Donglok

Reply to
dlkim

,> the front tire goes to the diagonally across backside and rear tires just> come

It really doesn't matter.

Front to back same side. Front cross to back, back to front same side. Back cross to front, front to back same side. Front cross to back, back cross to front.

It is my understanding Michelin did a study on tire rotation with modern radial tires of various brands. They concluded that it is safe to rotate tires in any direction regardless of the milage between tire rotations.

Reply to
John R Cambron

,>> the front tire goes to the diagonally across backside and rear tires just>> come

Good point about mentioning a tire manufacturer. My tires have an arrow for direction of rotation. So reguardless of what my manual says about criss-crossing them, I can only reposition my tires on the same side. Front to back, back to front, to maintain the tire manufacturers instructions.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

,> >> the front tire goes to the diagonally across backside and rear tires just> >> come

Obviously the tires that have tread designs that are specifically designed and marked to turn in a specific direction can only be mounted on hubs that turn in that direction. However at cost one can cross rotate these types of tire by remounting the tires on the rims in the opposite direction and mount them on the hubs on the other side of the car.

Reply to
John R Cambron

,>> >> the front tire goes to the diagonally across backside and rear tires just>> >> come

Yeah you made the point, at cost. Plus I'm sure the tires are designed to berotated front to back, back to front, if the tread is designed only for one direction of rotation. Plust, de-r****ng, and re-r****ng could limit the life of the tire overall.

I'll live without the criss-crossing.

thx,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME