Trans question

I am getting ready to change the filter in my AOD (97 XLT/AWD) I would like to change the fluid over to full synthetic. Any thoughts on this change over? Also, I would like to be able to remove ALL the fluid not just whats in the pan but whats in the torque converter, how is this accomplished?

THANKS Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher1

I just changed the fluid in my V8 Explorer transmission. The 4R70W (formerly known as AOD) does have a torque converter drain plug (unlike the V6 tranny). Basically just remove the rubber access hole cover on the bottom of the bell housing to get to the torque converter drain plug, you will have to bump the starter till the plug lines up with the hole, I used a large auto tranny drain pan, drop the pan to drain the fluid in the pan, then remove the torque converter drain plug to drain the converter. Most of the fluid will come out of the converter. Change your filter, clean the pan etc. etc. I have performed this about 3 times since I had the vehicle and found that using this method it takes 12 quarts of fluid to fill it back up. The original factory pan gasket is not a cork gasket, I would use a factory type gasket as a replacement they hold up better than a cork gasket, and is easier to remove the next time you change the fluid, about 30K with regular non-synth fluid.

Reply to
Fred 2

Maybe I should clarify:

I have a 97 XLT V-6 Automatic w/overdrive and I want to use full synthetic.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Fred 2 did a good job of explaing how to do the change. You can also turn the crankshaft to the desired position to drain the torque converter using a 26mm socket (If I remember correctly) on the front crank pulley.

As far as synthetics, they are able to withstand higher pressures and temps without burning like regular ATF. I use Mobil 1 ATF in my 4R70W.

Most heavy duty autos used in large trucks specify synthetic fluids now. The army uses synthetic fluids in Abrahams tanks (yes, they are autos), as well as synthetic oils for the diesel engines. So go ahead - in my opinion the synthetics are better overall.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Oh, you said '97 AWD and AOD so yeah you threw me off since the "AWD" only came with a V8 and 4R70W tranny (AOD-E)

Go ahead with the synth if you wish but the V6 tranny doesn't have a dra>Maybe I should clarify:

Reply to
Fred 2

Thanks for the help guys, And Fred 2, I didn't know about the AOD being a V8 I meant that I had an automatic tranny with overdrive. I have the 4.0 SOHC vin E motor in mine. I always have used synthetic bend in the motor and got pretty good gas mileage, someone had a sale on Mobile one one day so I decided to try that. I am glad I did because right away I noticed a bit more power smoother running and after 5 tanks of gas I seem to have increased our gas mileage. Before (with synthetic blend) we could get about 315/320 miles to the tank before the check gage light would come on, NOW however the check gage light comes on at 350/360, Call me crazy but I am sticking with Mobile one. Either that or my wife is secretly adding gas to the tank! I have done nothing but change the aircleaner to Fram Air Hog the oil filter to K&N and the oil to M1. I keep the tires at 40 PSI and the front end aligned regularly. I am just wondering whats going to happen when I use synthetic in the tranny.

Today, I went to change the brakes to ceramic pads and found that I need rear rotors so I have to do that 2morrow, I think I will tackle the tranny next week.

Thanks again for the help

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1