VIN sites

I would like to have a breakdown on my VIN number, could someone please post a free sit please. I have tried many "free" sites, only to find out before the last click they want my credit card number..... Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Esteban

There isn't a lot to be gained from your VIN by itself (you were hoping for?) other than year, model, engine.,.. maybe trans and some other nearly useless stuff...

An OASIS report would reveal a bit more detail... including build date, in service date, any open field service actions (recalls to des kammisados).... HVBoM would be the historical vehicle bill of materials.... the construction details of the unit (but this is going to depend on the year and some other influences - HVBoM is a fairly recent addition... coverage can be a tad sketchy at times....

Free is an interesting concept.... we are going to expect that "free" and "accurate" can be used together....

Reply to
<mechanic

Thanks for the response mechanic, What I was actually looking for is the external trim color. I think my best bet is to drive the vehicle ('98 Mountaineer,Black) to the dealership and hope a friend who works in the body shop can help. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

You are looking for a VIN label reference.... On the decal that has (amongst other things) the VIN, build date, etc. there will be an entry "EX TR" or similar. This will have the trim code you seek... You can go to many paint sites (Duplicolor would be one) that will give the "offical" name of the colour.

I do have to say that "black" shouldn't be that tough.... is that dark black or light black?

Reply to
<mechanic

Thanks again for the response. I recall seeing the decall you mention on the drivers door post. BTW, it's medium black. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

Mechanic, I have lied to you. I have told so many lies lately I feel like a politican. Yes, I lied when I told you my Mountaneer was medium black....it is actually ebony with the lower portion platinum. I feel much better now. However, I still can't find the original color/shade of the plastic horizontal side moldings that separate the ebony from the platinum. I purchased a Ford Motor Company truck service information (1998) off Ebay a few months ago, it shows the side moldings and says to check with the paint mfg. code. Please accept my humble apologies for lying to ya. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

I would hope that everyone could tell that "light black/dark black" was tongue in cheek...

FWIW, manufacturers are not required to supply anything for cars over 10 years pod....

In your instance, a good autobody painter could come up with something .... or go here

the info off your VIN decal should be all you need....

Reply to
<mechanic