will not idle when first started, motor dies. 1998 Sport SOHC 4

The motor starts but dies if you do not hold the gas petal down. This has happened twice in about 5 weeks. I can get the car to start and run normal if I start the car and hold down the petal so the engine is running 1500 to 2000 RPM. After a moment of running the engine above idle the engine will idle normal. I wonder what I need to clean or replace to correct this problem. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Everett

Reply to
Cosmo

Ah yes, the classic IAC problem. You will need to clean out your IAC valve. It sits on top of the intake manifold. You will need to remove the SOHC plastic shroud to get to it. Held in with 2 bolts and an electrical connector. Spray it with some solvent like WD 40. If it still gives you problems, might be time for a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier

Where is the IAC on the OHV - 6 (1995)?

Reply to
FS

I think it should be mounted on the throttle body close to the intake manifold.On all Fords it's pretty much on or close to the intake manifold. The link below is for the SOHC engine, but it will show you what the IAC looks like:

Mikepier

Thanks everyone. This is the information that I need.

Happy New Year

Everett

Reply to
Cosmo