05 Mustang Gt

I like the looks and powertrain of the 05 Mustang GT, so, I am thinking of buying one. What do you people know about them? It will only be driven on nice days, not an everyday car. Do you think it will become a collectors item? Would it be possible to have the dealer swap rims with the NON-GT model? I like the rims with the spinners better. Opinions please.

TIA Hank

Reply to
Ninebal310

Not much. It is pretty much a complete update with no track record of it's own other than previous Mustangs which have generally been anywhere from terrible to outstanding depending on what you are looking for. Personally, I like what I see.

Ther is no way to know. There have been certain versions of every Mustang that have become collectors items if for only the well healed car collector.

I would think a dealer would jump at that opportunity since he will probably charge you - and, he would be getting the more valuable wheels to resell. IMHO, you would be devalueing your new Mustang especially if you think there is a possibility of sitting on it for collector purposes. Original cars are generally much more valuable to collectors in the long term even if the original did not have the curb appeal of a modified car. A far better option if you want it for future collector value is to buy the wheels and tires you want and, just store the originals in a safe place for future use. I wish I had done this with the original 15" Magnum 500 wheels for my Torino - live and learn!

Lugnut

BTW, you should buy the car with your mind not your heart. It is possible for the mind to buy the car for your heart to enjoy. My '69 Mach I is the only car I have ever regretted trading. Most of the others, I have only regretted not trading them soon enough!

Reply to
lugnut

lugnut opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've had exactly the opposite experience... or perhaps, I think youre REALY saying "use your mind AND gut/visceral reaction to the car".

If you rely purely on logical choice, as I have in two cases, you sometimes learn to HATE that car.

I know that's what happened to me... 76 Grenada and 82 Cavalier acquired by logic because they were so cheap

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No kidding and it's not a Ford only thing with me!

Reply to
FanJet

Good luck finding one in the near future.........

I will be even Mike Hunt is licking his chops over one.

If your particular about features and color (and price), you might want to wait until next spring. Being an early adopter has its risks too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Ninebal310 opined

Last first... You'd have no trouble finding an owner willing to swap wheels later on.

Eventually they ALL become collectors items, but this all depends on your mindset... you ARE going to drive it and there a chance that something would happen to make it relatively uncollectable.

I was in the position once...I needed a car to drive to work. I ran across a near cherry 84 SVO.. only 3 000 built and only 9000 in the 3 years, so it was destined to be a collectible quickly.

I looked at it, drove it and went home to change underwear and I was thinking all the time.. "I cant buy that car because I'll ruin it driving it everyday".

Then I thought again.. what is a car for?

I bought it, drove it everyday for 7 years, put 130,000 miles on it, total of

190,000 and I drove it pedal to the metal every chance I got.

No one possession, before or since, brought me so much joy, year after year and I got my fun everyday!

BUT YOU can drive it from the dealer to your garage and wrap it in plastic and just think about what you have out there and how much fun it would be to drive it in 20 years when you unwrap it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

go bye it and let me know how you like it...we just pick up a 2000 mustang 2 weeks ago and the wife just loves it ..it only has 29,000. miles on it and it's in mint shape ......

Reply to
Salmon Slayer

Yes, I AM going to drive it. If I wreck it, so be it, but I will drive it. It is just a chance I'd take.

Story: Friend bought a brand new Olds Cutlas and put it up on blocks for 16 years for his first son. When the son turned 16, he was presented with the car. The son didn't like it because it wasn't "cool". So my friend started to drive it and after a couple years, the rust was pretty bad for a car with only 20K miles on it.

So, my intent is to drive it like I would a motorcycle. On nice days only. When my grandson gets 16, I may let him borrow it. Hank

Reply to
Ninebal310

Ok, I'll go check them out today. The local Ford dealer had a few of them and said he would sell me the GT model for retail, most everyone else is getting $2k-$5k over MSRP.

If they still have the one I want, I may pay MSRP just to get one. Hank

Reply to
Ninebal310

The big trick is to not buy a car that you do not like the first time you see or drive it. They do not get better with time. I do have an F150 that is like an old pair of comfortable shoes. I liked it the first time I saw it. I drove it only after I had bought it based on prior experience with F150's. I know it's time is coming but, I am about to send 'er in for a fresh coat of paint and rebuild the driver's seat hoping for another 100K to make it

300K. The body is flawless with the exception of crows feet on the topside paint.
Reply to
lugnut

I know a fellow who bought one of the '93 or'94 Mustangs that Ford built and only sold 248 of only to racers with a current race license. It has the carpet, insulation, undercoat and back seat factory deleted - no creature comfort accomodations. It is powered by an unrated 351W on steroids. It has .4 miles on the odometer and he had it delivered on a rollback. To my knowledge, his only enjoyment thus far is spending $44K for a car that is now sealed in a climate controlled garage that will never be legal for street use - or, at east, until it is 25 years old to escape emissions inspection, anyways.

Reply to
lugnut

Actually I have a red/black/black 2005 GT convertible on order. Unfortunate Ford will not start building the convertible until February, bummer. Fully loaded the MSRP is only 30,300, around

5K less than a V6 Camry Solara convertible or the Chrysler V6 convertible and their six is driving the wrong end. ;)

mike hunt

Bob Urz wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

I bought a new 64 Mustang V8 convertible when they first came out for $2,700, put 60K on the clock in about three years then parked it and bought another Mustang convert. I still have the car, among several other cars that I kept. It is still in really mice condition and worth at least four times what I paid for it.

mike hunt

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

It is a mistake to simply park any car. I have several collector cars but they must be run to keep them in good condition. I run mine at least once a month for at least 20 or 30 miles to keep everything lubed and functioning.

mike hunt

Reply to
MajorDomo

sound good send me a pic.....

Reply to
Salmon Slayer

Seems like a nice car. Would rather have a '69 428 CJ Mach 1 though. As far a collectable status goes. It's not going to be very Rare. Time will tell of course.....

Reply to
Tiger

Start at the bottom of the page

Note these guys do a lot of "furrin'" cars, note also the asininity of some of the commenters!

mustang is a "niche" market car?

gimme a break

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic