1979 Lincoln Mark V - 68,000 Orig Miles - Carb Flooding out...

Hey guys, I have a 1979 Lincoln Mark V (400 CI). (68,000 orig miles) I was having problems last summer with my carb flooding out after the car was running 40-60 minutes. The carb flooded out probably 5-10 minutes after actual shutoff. It only seems to happen when it is 85+ degrees outside. When it was 60-70 degrees outside on a full tank the miles to empty read "250-265" and now when it is warmer and my carb floods it reads "220-230" on a full tank.

Basically, I can always smell gas in my garage, and I can smell gas when I pop the hood, but it only really flows in quick when its hot. I can hear it and see it flowing in on hot days about 10-15 minutes after shutoff.

I've had the carb rebuilt. New fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line. New spark plugs.

I get the black smoke out of the exhaust and the hard starts after flooding - typical symptons...

Car runs excellent after startup.

Probably not related, perhaps the choke but on cold starts, for the first

5 minutes of driving, when I push on the gas the car does not accelerate and starts to just roll, once I let off the gas it goes again, only from dead stops...

Let me know what you guys think.. :) Any ideas?

Thanks

-UrbelT

Reply to
UrbelT