1996 Ford Aerostar Van

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my Aerostar that I have never encountered in any other vehicle. It started a couple of months ago where the van would feel like it was 'skidding' when turning a corner. Yesterday, I backed out of the driveway; and when I put it in 'drive', I heard a huge clunk. It seems that if you turn a corner with your foot on the accelerator, it makes the clunking sound. If you just coast around a corner, there's no sound. I also drove into a parking space at work, and I felt like I 'skidded' into it. It's the oddest thing.

Any suggestions?

TIA! Joanie

Reply to
Thatgirl1971

The "track rod" between the rear axle and the body is loose. I've seen the rod itself go bad, and I've seen the "bracket" on the body pull off. If you are lucky, it's just the bushings.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Hi, I took it to my mechanic, and the whole rear end needs replaced. I guess he's getting one for $200 from a junk yard and charging me $250 for labor. Does this sound right?

Now my 1989 Cougar won't start. They put a brand new battery in with new terminals, and when you let it sit for more than a few hours, the battery runs down. How frustrating to have both of your vehicles down within a couple of days?! Maybe I should start a new thread on the Cougar.

Thanks for your response!

Reply to
Thatgirl1971

"Thatgirl1971" wrote

No. "the whole rear end needs TO BE replaced" sounds right. But, that's just the Language Nazi part of me speaking.

Reply to
MasterBlaster