1999 F150 XLT Sound System/Radio Question

I have a 1999 F150 XLT with a factory AM/FM/cassette. I'm interested in installing a Ford 6-CD unit in its place. I don't know much about wiring compatibility and whether or not it has or needs a separate amp. How can I tell if a unit I'm looking at fits the dash and the existing wiring?

Does anyone have an interchange listing or know where I can find one? Or any other information that would be helpful would be great.

Thanks.

Reply to
Donna

All you need to do is to get an aftermarket mounting kit for your vechicle. Does it have to be a Ford 6-CD, or can it be anything? I personallly like Alpine or Sony Moble ES... the Alpine unit has a built in 6 disc changer in the unit itself (you can feed in the discs into the head unit) Plus, it has IPOD controls, which I personally love... just dock the unit, and it will control it, and display, etc...

As far as wiring, the best way to do it is to get a female harness, which will allow you to connect the new units harness to it, and then all you have to do, is plug in the factory wires... everything will be well marked, between the female harness and the new units wiring outs The biggest reason for doing this, in my opinion, besides ease of not having to splice wires inside the dashboard, is if you ever sell the Truck, you can just unplug the harness, and re-plug in the stock radio... neat and clean... works with any new stereo on the market... just be sure to get the correct year model harnness... GM seems to change it's wiring every 4 years, Ford does too, but not as often I have found.

One big thing I would suggest too... Use wire nuts for every connection! Don't just use Electrical tape, these can come off, and you will end up shorting out the stereo or worse. I'd use like a 14 or 12 gauge nut...

1/4 inch bare wire is all you need... Good Luck
Reply to
RobGute

You can also buy XM's Roady2 at BestBuy for $99 and $9.99 a month for 120 Channels of music,news etc.

They have a freq.modulator so you can use it on every radio, car or at home

See

for details

Johan

and No, I don't work for xm