2000 Ford Taurus Struts

How do you know when to replace the struts on a 2000 Taurus? We have

99,000 miles on it?
Reply to
stonetool

When it starts handling badly.. Like if you are driving down the road and you hit a bump and the wheel keeps bouncing.

Quick test, jump on your bumper a couple times, and then jump off. If your vehicle continues the up and down strokes more than 3 times, its time to replace them. Do this on front and back.

Side note: I have 113,000mi on my 2000 Ranger and they are still good. That even includes some off road drivin at 20+mph through rough pastures with 800

+/- 50lbs of hay on the back.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ok about that note on my truck, I forgot to mention that I was talking about shocks on my truck, but since they do the same job as stuts on a car, it would be the same thing.. OK.. LOL

Reply to
Ford Tech

More than 1/2 a bounce for me on the Taurus and it's going in for replacements. I won't put up with more than one rebound.

Still originals, & tight, at 180,000 mi.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Today's strut suspensions definitely stand up MUCH better than the shocks of old. Not at all out of the ordinary to have struts last

300,000km, where the old shocks were DONE long before 50,000.

One rebound on the shocks, and one on the tires is enough.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Be careful here. Have the springs in the front been replaced? i had a

2000 and it had a broken coil at the spr> How do you know when to replace the struts on a 2000 Taurus? We have
Reply to
dmtaurus

ALL ford coil springs have had problems over the years, and Moog makes a replacement that works well (obviousy only in pairs)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Thanks gang. The reason for the question is, it's our daughter's college car. I took it to goodyear for an oil change and alignment and walked away with about $2500 worth of repairs that were suggested. Mind you, the car is maintained extremely well since she drives back and forth from school. It didn't make a sound, bounce excessively when I drove it. It bounces back after one push down with no extra bounces.

Thanks again.

Reply to
stonetool