2002 Explorer with 3rd seat weigh more

I expect that these 3rd seats weigh more. How much do they weigh? significant for gas mileage?

Reply to
HaGGaR

Not as much as your wife. Seriously.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

oh i'm sure there will be a big difference between 16.2 and 16.195 MPG with the extra seat.

Reply to
Picasso

See

(see page 8)

For payload/weight ratings calcualtions Ford assumes the third row seat plus two passengers increases the weight on the rear axle by 355 lbs and reduces the weight on the front axle by 20 lbs. This is a total weigh change of of 335 lbs (355-20). 300 lbs of this 335 lbs is allowance for the weight of two passengers and the 40/20/40 second seat. This leaves 35 lbs for the third row seat. Of the 300 lbs allowance for the passengers and 40/20/40 second seat, probably 280 is for the 2 extra passengers, and 20 or so for the different second seat. So in total, I estimate that having a third row seat adds less than 60 lbs to the weight of the vehicle (unless their are people sitting in it). Hardly seems to be worth worrying about on 5000+ lbs vehicle (1.2%).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are, quite obviously, missing the point.... If we can see a mileage gain by taking out the rear seat... we can take that a step or two further.... imagine the weight savings if we remove the rugs and sound deadening material? Or the headliner? And that pesky sound system.... man, there has to be three or four pounds of speakers cluttering up the car.... Next we can get rid of the other seats.... pop crates are much, much lighter.... And that ugly dashboard.... All we really need is the instrument cluster so we can pop rivet that in to place using some plumbers strap (aluminum pop rivets weigh much less than those bulky sheet metal screws).

Now, if we could figure out a way to air cool this engine, we could save 30, pounds on the rad and another 30 on coolant... it's cummulative, man... if some is good and more is better - too much should be almost enough.....

tough in cheek mode =

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, it's just easier to leave the wife behind.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

e could figure out a way to air cool this engine, we could save 30,

Oh Oh ,ouch...my wife said you can't do that Rob...If I go she has to come to...She is the verbal rule book for on the road driving as she said I don't seem to know them very well...

Lansing

To e-mail me remove the X from my E - address...

Reply to
Lansing Small