2005 Escape Ltd Failed Rear Shocks

I have a 2005 Escape. The warranty just recently expired. Just under the wire, I gto my rear shocks replaced by Ford for free. The car has

26,000 miles. I'm surprised (and pissed) that the shocks failed so quickly. Also, the wheel bearings are getting noisey or at least I think that it's the wheel bearings. Anyone else have the same problems with a similar vehicle?
Reply to
mstrspy

Things can fail prematurely, they're all manmade items and thus not perfect. Thats what warranties are for. As for the wheel bearings, get them checked ASAP, before you get many more miles out of warranty. I would more suspect noisy tires at 26K, but if the bearings are in fact noisy, you may have recourse for a "good will" adjustment for a "just out of warranty" failure. A lot depends on Ford, the dealer, and especially your attitude in trying to reach an agreement for an out of warranty repair. Remember, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, no matter how expensive the bowl is. Once the warranty period is over, they don't really owe you anything.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Not likely, if they had a proper 15K service completed. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So Mike would you like to explain how you service shocks?

Reply to
Ripcord

Reply to
mstrspy

Just curious - did you do anything unusual before the shocks failed - major bump, overload the vehicle? I destroyed a pair on shock on the rear of my 2001 Mustang when I drove through the mother of all potholes. The dealer replaced the shocks under warranty without any question, but I am certain it was the pot hole that did them in. I was just glad it didn't break the rear axle (it was one horrible pothole). If you had some extreme event that damaged the shocks, it is possible it also damaged the wheel bearings. If not, then it would be my guess you have noisy tires. Since you say the "warranty just expired" I assume you now have over 36,000 miles? Might be time to think about replacing the tires. To check the wheel bearing, jack up the rear of the car, and spin the tires. If the bearing are going, you should be able to feel some roughness when you spin them.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I would suggest one read ones warranty policy manual on the subject of service requirements and the interval at which they should be performed. Particularly the extensive requirements of 15K and 30K service, while under the B2B warranty that offer the most extensive converge for the vehicle ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
mstrspy

I changed the Conti's off my '02 Escape for that very reason. They were OK when first I bought it, but at ~25K miles, they became noisy, whiney, and tractionless. I put Firestone Destination LE's on and have no complaints after another 25K miles. They're still quiet, I get very good traction on wet, dry, or sandy roads, and they show hardly any wear at all.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Reply to