2006 Mustang dash

I have a 2006 Mustang with the 4-gauge dash.

There were 3 different dashboards in that year. The 4-gauge, the 6-gauge, and the 6-gauge GT.

I was TOLD that the 4-gauge and the 6-gauge could be swapped for one another. (But you could NOT swap the GT dash)

I checked a smashed up Mustang at the junkyard and did confirm that it had te 4-gauge dash and did have the wiring installed in the chassis to go to the switch panel that controls the information center on the 6-gauge dash.

But, won't there be a problem with the odometer? I get conflicting answers. One person told me yes, but it will work, just give errors on the OBD until it's reset to match the body computer. But I would like to know before I buy the parts and try it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

There's actually 4 cluster options, 4.0 4 and 6 gauge as well as GT 4 and 6 gauge. Yes, you would have a problem with the odometer. 05 and up mustangs store the cars mileage in the instrument cluster so when you change it out you now have that clusters mileage, not bad when you can find one close to yours. In addition to the mileage the cluster also has the VIN number of the car as well as other features such as ABS and TPMS. Your car may or may not be pre-wired for the "My Color" feature that the 6 gauge gives you. Pop out the blank cover to the upper left of the radio (to the left of the hazard button) and see if there are wires clipped to the back of it, if so, you can use the "My Color" if you swap your cluster. The blank cover will pop right out using a trim tool or a screw driver, no need to disassemble anything to check if it's pre-wired.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

So, other than the mis-match of the VIN and Mileage, are there any 'real' problems that will affect functionality? It doesn't matter much to me as long as everything works. The car has 100K on it already, so any dash I pick up will probably be lower anyway.

You're saying that some 06 cars didn't have the connector behind the center panel knockout?

And I wasn't aware the GT had a 4-gauge dash. Every GT dash I've seen always had 6 gauges.

I was also looking for the data access tap, but I haven't found any 07 or later Mustangs in the junkyard yet. The 06 I found this morning had a cable harness under the center console so I think it was wired for it.

Reply to
Mike Y

If the donor car had ABS or TPMS and yours doesn't it will cause the lights to be continuously on.

Yes, some cars do not come pre-wired for the my color, only way to know is to pop out the blanking plate and see if the wires are there.

I believe your "data access tap" is what's called the Aux input. 07 and up had them, no provisioning for 06's and earlier, the wires you are seeing are not for the aux input.

Reply to
Brian V

I have ABS and Traction control. I thought they were standard, and not options.

The 06 Mustang I saw that was chopped up had a wire harness that went down the center hump right to under hte center console bucket. I didn't count the wires, but on a quick glance it appeared to have more than the 2 it would take for the Aux power in the box. But to be fair, I didn't look at it, just that what I remember after the fact.

I do know there are aftermarket kits available to add the data tap. But I suppose if I find a car with one, I could just rip the whole thing out, as it just goes to the radio connector, and maybe power and ground. I could probably just clip out the harness and pull the connectors out of the shell on the radio if need be. Depends on how the harness is built.

I'll have to pop my cover place in my car and see if I have the wiring for the switches.

Reply to
Mike Y

I managed to get another look at that chopped up Mustang.

It appears that the wiring harness that I saw MAY have been the shifter harness. Evidently it comes down to under the box then goes back forward to the shifter. Kind of strange, but maybe. Unless I take mine apart, I'm not sure, because this Mustang is nothing but a pan any more, so it's real tough to tell. There ain't a shifter there to see if that's what it hooked to.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y