2008 Fusion Traction Control

I just picked up a new Fusion SE with the all wheel drive. I was wondering what the Traction control is supposed to do and how that interacts with the AWD. There is also a button to turn off the traction control. Wonder what that does? Fred

Reply to
Fred

In the glove compartment of your car, there is a manual.... one that we (in the trade) often call the "worlds most expensive unread book". If there's anything I miss here, the section starts about page 194 in your owner guide....

Your Fusion AWD is, basically, a front wheel drive car with a power transfer unit attached that sends a portion of engine torque to the rear wheels. Nice feature made better (IMHO) with the addition of traction control.

The traction control limits wheel spin by first limiting engine torque... if that doesn't "solve the problem", the ABS can apply (modulate) individual brakes as necessary (you will hear and feel the pump run) in order to send power to the wheels that have traction.....

The button that turns the traction control system off turns the traction control system off.... It does not affect ABS operation but neither will it control unwanted wheel spin with the switch "Off". Turning the key off and restarting the car will have the system default to the "On" position.

Word to the wise.... new cars are horrendously expensive these days.... If we don't make use of the owners manual in order to learn and use all the features our new car is equipped with, we are doing ourselves a dis-service.... Audio systems (including the new SYNC system) and other convenience and creature comfort features have all added to the cost of this new ride.... Might as well learn how to use them.

FWIW, when I purchase a vehicle, new or used, I hand my wife the owners manual along with her set of keys.... With new vehicles especially, there can be so many little, hidden, electrical goodies that just add that little "je ne ces quois" to the driving experience.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Just our of curiosity, why didn't ask this before you bought the car?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Group

I guess I was too general with my post. So far the car has been great. Gas mileage good. Lots of power. Handling phenomenal. I suppose I am looking for more technical information so I will have to wait until I get the shop manual. More specifically, I was interested in how they implemented the AWD. The dealer did not know, other than it had it. There are many types. Subaru style, Audi, vicious coupling,etc. There is a write up on the internet on all the various implementations. I want to see how Ford fits in with the rest. I also could not find out more about the traction control. This I can understand for front wheel drive by cutting back the power and/or automatically braking a wheel, but I was wondering if they implemented this for the rear wheels also when they did the AWD. I have heard the Subaru implementation of the AWD gets the car sideways a lot, as I witnessed the other day, so I hope Ford's is better.

Fred

Reply to
Fred