83 Grand Marquis Wheel Covers

I have the steel wheels, with the aluminum wheel covers. These things make a lot of racket every time the wheels turn. If I remember right (I don't generally pay THAT much attention to their design when they are off) there are some spring loaded type ......eh....."tabs" or "friction plates," if you will, that hold it in place (also a keyed bolt that actually holds them on).

Is it those Springy tab things that are making the noise? Becaues it's not a once per revoloution thing, it's quite a few times more. I'm thinking that whenever the wheel flexes under the weight, whichever tab is at the bottom of the wheel....gets pushed in, and also is fighting the friction between it and the wheel, therefore making a lot of noise. Hehe....it sounds like an old steam train sort of...lol

Any ideas?

If this is the case....I'm thinking of trying to lightly grease those tabs, or lubricate them in some way to see if that helps.

On another note....it's also about time to take off the steering wheel again and grease the cruise controll brushes.

Thanks again!

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

Thomas Moats

Reply to
Robotnik

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Alright, thanks alot. I'll probably try that out the next moment of free time I get.....probably this weekend.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik