90 ford areostar

my starts up fine and it will sit and idle in park and nuetral but when i put it in gear it shuts off. help! please

Reply to
rtmrtnzjr

Could be IAC valve, or it could be the timing chain, or any of two or 3 other things. Invest in an EEC-IV digital code reader for about $35 and pull codes to help pinpoint the problem.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

"rtmrtnzjr" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

How about when you speed it up a little with your foot on the gas... Does it shut off then?

Act the same, hot and cold?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

thank you sharon. maybe a little more info can help you pin poimt my problem. ok when i start it i cann rev up the rpm then slam it in gear and it will stumble and feels like a manual trany would if you would try to take off in 4th gear and when i am driving its fine until i am coming to a stop it feels like a manual would if you dont push in clutch when almost at stop you know kinda stumbling trying to keep going. but it a automatic! maybe this info will help

Reply to
rtmrtnzjr

Sounds like torque converter is staying locked up.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman