91 escort headlight

I am new to the ford newsgroup, and this may be a common question. sorry if this a repeat. the lenses on this car are faded, yellowish and/or foggy. is there a method to brighten the lens, to take out yellow?

tx Brian

Reply to
Brian

this is what i did on my 96 contour.. get a can of Turtle Wax Polishing Compound.. a couple of old face cloths(the kind with the knapp on it).. a roll of duct tape and some WD-40....

1-put the rag into some water to dampend it... then make a paste and work on the lens for about 10 minutes to polish it up... keep the rag moist with the damp past of the polishing compound.... i used the duct tape on around the lens to protect the painted finish on the car.. i left the hood open as it makes contact with the lenses...... i them attached a polishing bonnet on my electric drill and kept the lense covered with the past and worked on it for about 5 minuets.. took some water and with a clean rag wiped off the lense... it looked alot better. a week later did the same thing and then the next week continued....... it now looked like new glass lenses.... Turtle Was Polishing Compound Cost about $1.79 per can at auto parts stores... so it was a pretty cheap fix....i used the WD 40 to remove the residue from the tape from the painted surfaces................... i have read around on different newsgroup, and web pages that you use fine grade of sandpaper, but i tried it on a broken lense that i had found and that the plastic was scratched up so bad that i think that i would have ruined my lenses if i did it this way.. the polishing compound worked great, not taking off too much, but getting the dirt/old plastic off the lenses... hope this helps.....
Reply to
jim

I used regular Meguiars liquid compounding stuff and my headlights look much better now.

Reply to
Childfree Scott