93’ explorer keeps blowing heater fan/ac fuse

Hey everyone, new here and i got a problem i cant figure out.. i got a 93 ford explorer xlt, and latly the heater fan fuse keeps blowing, you can replace the fuse and it will sometimes instantly blow or will last for a minute or 2 with the fan on then blow again, the problem is the turn signal idicators are also on this circuit? and i loose those when the fuse blows, ive had to have the heater system completly off and the signals will last awhile but sometimes just blow the fuse again.. why is it doing this, ive been told its a short somewhere? i did replace the blower motor and its still blowing, what else should i replace before i have to take it to a shop to get the wiring check? should i replace the heater fan resistor? (wher eis this located, is it hard to get at?)?, the interior switch panel? anything else, the relay? anything, need this fixed asap, thanks everyone! :!:

Reply to
gbodyfever

I have the same model and year and yes I have had the heater go full blast. It was the motor blower switch on the dashboard that had melted and shorted internally.

I had this switch fail twice. First time it was same as you and I had to get a new switch at a pick and pull, actually they sold me the whole heater control panel for about $20. It actually came from a Ranger if I recall.

The second time it failed it would not work at some speeds. This time I disassembled the switch and cleaned the contacts of some soot and it now works. In that case the body of the switch was not as damaged by melting as the first time.

Clearly there are some failure modes having to do with the switch so start there. It should be obviously burned when you unplug the connector. It may or may not be repairable. Its not too hard to get the dash off, start with the ashtray, some of it is just snap fit in place.

pipedown

Almost forgot The second failure also involved a burn out of a relay in the power panel under the hood, heat damaged contacts broke away and went open. It was a standard automotive relay, easy and cheap to find.

Pull the relay for the blower as marked on the lid of the power distribution box (and in the manual) and inspect for heating damage as well as the blower switch.

pipedown