93 Taurus Radiator ?

I had what seemed like a total radiator blowout. When I started to dig in to the removal process, I discovered the leak is a small hole in the plastic end, on the batterty side, away from any edges, 3 or 4 inches down from the hose tube. Does this seem fixable without the complete removal of the rad. from the car? Can I weld plastic? Epoxy? I'm having a problem loosening the tranny fittings from the rad. Are they right or left handed? My luck dictates that if I don't do the complete R&R, it won't work. Help!! Thanks.

-- jwald

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Clemenza - Godfather I

Reply to
j Wald

Find a replacement radiator and replace it. Trying to glue it is pissing in the wind. there are many discount radiator places to buy. And yes, getting those cooler fittings off is a pain in the ass. and there is dam little space for the wrenches.

And a word of caution. If you spring the extra bucks for a double core radiator, you will have fun putting the cooling fan back on.

BOB (one who has done it)

Reply to
BOB URZ

just replace it, get a new one too, I tried one from a salvage yard on my 90 taurus once, apparantly they all brake in the same place.

Reply to
Petebert

On that same topic....why are the Taurus radiators 'exposed' on the bottom? Seems like rocks can find their way to pierce the radiator.

Has anyone fashioned 'netting' to keep the rocks out yet allow for good airflow?

Reply to
JD

i got a 93 taurus and have never had a problem with rocks hitting the radiator, maybe i am just lucky or something?????

Reply to
jim

-snip-

Just because some of the fins may be bent, doesnt mean the radiator has lost it's effectiveness. My Taurus' radiator has some pretty severe "battle damage" on the very bottom of the radiator, but it's not punctured, and still has plenty of airflow at the top.

If you really want to protect it however, an easy way to construct a "net", would be to remove the radiator, get some stiff wire mesh and something to hold the mess off the radiator (metal motherboard standoffs would likely work fine) and wrap the wire mesh tightly one time, and re-install the radiator with the mire mesh. But if you ask me, you're just wasting time.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Burns