'94 Taurus Transmission

What's an estimated cost to replace/rebuild a transmission in a '94 Taurus? I'm trying to get an worse case idea.

I just bought a '94 Taurus that only had 30,000 miles on it. The transmission seems to be slipping in 1st/2nd gear when I corner. I don't know if it could be serviced or needs major repairs. I called a local national chain and was told that they "didn't want to get involved in that type or repair..." ?? WTF? I'm just trying to get an idea of what my potential costs might be.

Reply to
Dave Zass

Your problem may be simple. Be sure it is "FULL" of fluid. That is the most common problem for that. Those years also had some engine mount problems - you may need to have that checked. Many of that vintage had problems with transmission failures but, not just during turns. Many shops did not/still won't work on Taurus transmission because they could not make them stay together. That was both a transmission and a mechanic problem. As far as rebuild cost, you can expect aroung $1200 on up to about $1800 depending on where you are and who does the work. A dealer sho may go well beyond that.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've seen some people say they paid $1325, others $2800. Should I rule out the dealer totally and look for a local mechanic or transmission specialty shop?

Reply to
Dave Zass

Look for a good independant shop with references. Aamco is not a shop I will ever bend over for again. They are expensive for so-so work and a warranty that should be considered a scam.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Before you spend alot of time and money at a transmission shop - check your tranny fluid level. My 86 Taurus would jump out of gear at the same left turn corner every night - solved by correcting a low fluid level. If this works - keep an eye on the tranny for leaks to determine how the level got low in the first place!

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Howdy David,

I have an 1986 with a 3L-V6 & 4 speed Automatic. Because if heat problems, am doing head job and because of shifting problems had the transmission rebuilt at Aamco... The shop by me has usually done a good job, anf because I brought this rig in - I pilled the engine & transmission myself - they took off a grand. Total rebuild included replacing some of the original aluminium parts with steel and some of the steel parts with hardened steel... $2150... I am close to geting it back in, need to replact the main baring seal & there is a tool for pressing it in that I can not find at any dealer of parts house :-( and I may end up making one... They are a good car, just don't let them over heat. That can cause great problems...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Narcowich

You paid $2150 at Ammcrow with a carry in? Boy they saw you coming. You should have got it pulled and installed for that kind of change.

You probably could have got a rebuilt jasper or such for hundreds less with exchange of core if you put it in yourself. There's a place on Ebay in Phoenix that is even much less than that.

If its really a 1986, the cost of your trannie repair exceeded the value of the car by a factor of 2 or 3.

I have owed 4 taurus, but i would have never put that much in a older one. A gen II (92/95) in excellent shape might be worth it, but its still a judgment call.

Bob

am close to geting it back in, need to replact the main

Reply to
Bob Urz